Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Round 'em up!

There's been a lot of good activity in the past day or so, I thought I would post about some of it...

I noticed in sculpture magazine this month that the inemitable Gillian Jagger won a nice prize. Except I didn't note the name of it, and I don't have my issue yet. I will update this when I find out what it is. Congratulations Gillian! Apparently there is also a documentary being made about Gillian, which should be very interesting as she is a fascinating character.

jameswagner.com posted about the shows at Dam Stuhltrager. I was glad he did since it reminded me of the drawings by Michael Schall that were on view. I forgot to post about them in my gallery round up. Michael's drawings are curious and meticulous drawings of industry and nature intertwined and interdependent. The drawings are strange and a little off-putting, but fascinating as well. Because of the scale at which they are drawn it is more lilipudlian than overwhelming or disturbing. As Michael says in his statement: "associations with our own society’s desire to dominate and control both its environment and its individuals." I do also want to comment on the work by Gae Savannah, whose colorful works were exhibited in the front room. I liked the structures and the magpie in me enjoyed the colors, and luscious treatments and fabrics. I do however wish that the craftsmanship was better on these. They begged to be finely crafted to the minutest detail. But they are not. Also another word of caution, the photo of Gae's work on the postcard, and the photo that James took were both in the category of photos of the images that look better than the actual work. Its a fine line to tread. Her smaller works may work better than the architecturally inspired pieces in the show. I will watch out for more of her work though

Apartment Therapy brought "Knitta, Please!" to my inbox. This is the kind of clever street art that I think is worthwhile. Not that ridiculous pee-ing on the street that is so much of the tagging around here. (Still have to write my rant, I mean post, on street art).

ArtMoco posts an update on one of my favorite public art project in years, the enormous pink bunny by Gelitin, apparently there is grass pushing up through the bunny now, and it looks great covered in snow!

But I wasn't too thrilled about the ArtMoco posting about Pixar. Really guys, just because the MoMA does it, doesn't mean you have to.

Can't remember where I saw this, but the green building excitement in New York just keeps on going - yay! In 2004 Benton Brown and Susan Boyle reno'd an old Ice House in Crown Heights through sustainable methods. Wah! Why can't I live there instead of my scummy place!

NewYorkology reports on the Guardian's article about Art Galleries as antidotes for stress, well that should help build business! And finally the guardian has rss feeds...
Art.blogging.la writes that CSU Long Beach is hiring a sculpture professor, and she says that sculpture is HOT right now! Hmmm, surfing sounds awfully good right now. I think those bahamas ads on the trains are working their magic, even though if I were to quit the rat race I think I would go to Maldives. And if sculpture is HOT I should be rich any minute now.

And soon, we will have our very own version of Maldives right here in Gotham, out on Randall's Island of all places.

Last but certainly not least, the Drawing Center has found a home. After the debacle of being invited and then uninvited to be at Ground Zero (so much for American freedom of speech and liberties). The New York Times is reporting that they will relocate to the recently vacated Fulton fish market at South Street Seaport. The Drawing Center talking heads have been nothing if not extremely polite and mature in all of these dealings, unlike the embarassing displays by Pataki, Clinton and the families of 9/11 victims. If we don't stand for investigating and being open about what happened on 9/11 and our history, then we are merely setting ourselves up for more attacks. I am glad that the Drawing Center refused to have oversight on their curatorial decisions. (And yeh, I wrote letters to Clinton and Pataki, but never even got a polite formmail reply.)




No comments: