Friday, November 11, 2005

Finally up...

installation view
After cramming an awful lot of work in to finish and package (what a chore!) the works for "Transitory Environments" I woke up around 6am with a cold brought on by exhaustion. Got on the plane anyway and got the work all installed! It was a crazy weekend, but the show went off with only a couple little hiccups (including a request for more work, and 2 viewers pulling the work off the wall! I can fill in more details if requested). Will have images of the show on my site soon. Sorry the images are so bad, lighting was tough to work with (and yes the one wall is chocolate! I chose colors to work with that).

figment
figment detail
figment detail
figment detail
eccentricities
eccentricities detail
myth
myth detail
images are (top to bottom):
installation view (beautiful winery, a friend of my friend Hadley designed it)
figment (on chocolate wall)
figment detail
figment detail
figment detail
eccentricities
eccentricities detail
myth
myth detail
estranged #3 (below)

Some comments about the work. The original pieces for the show, figment and myth are both abstractions and accumulations of organic forms in the area (the wine country) and elsewhere (Filoli). Figment is made up of plexi and beeswax bases with copper wires wrapped (twice) with my favorite nylon thread (upholstery bonded #69) with the little felted balls attached. The piece myth has a different plexi and beeswax base with the nylon threads embedded and the felted balls attached. This piece is unfortunately installed near the door and will be a tangled mess by the time I de-install in January (like others). I am in love with the shape of the felted balls and plan on using them for a number of other projects, but the process (very wet felting) is arduous. The circle theme and wrapping theme, seem to be pretty big ones for me. Will try to investigate that in the coming months, definitely something 'ritualistic.'

Can you also tell that I LOVE shadows? Some other shadow intensive works include: fragile, matter of time, rain, night and day, and watch for more!

The drawings were fun, the are layers of essentially three pages, utilizing black, white and silver ink. The detail above shows my favorite, but the lines drawing was successful as well. It was all about breaking the boundaries of the work on paper. Sort of like my breaking beyond the photograph.

Kept really busy while out there and spent time with friends, including the EcoArts folks in Lake County, and visiting RPS Collective, which is where I picked up the last minute included pieces estranged (pictured below) for the show. I also found some great great stuff at the collective, including a Baby Binky from Tokkisom, tees from culture consumer, and a great necklace from an artist whose name I have forgotten - ack!

Just glad to be home and working on the big drawings. And I am starting work as a tv/film extra next week. I am hoping that it is a lot of sitting around so that I can spend the time knitting and stuff. That might become part of the blog too...

No comments: