Wednesday, January 24, 2007

is it more fun to go up the hill than down?




So, with the head cold set in good and well - stuffy head, burning eyes, that whole experience of walking around in a dream? - it gives me time to think. And catch up a little on blogging - if somewhat incoherently.

I've been thinking about just how much work it is to produce a public art work (in case you didn't know, i am in the midst of doing that right now), especially one that is, well, ephemeral and fleeting. Here's the rough overview:
  • get grants: that means researching, writing, editing, compiling, mailing etc. and not just one or two - more like a dozen at least
  • get approval: so the grants give you some backbone at least, but then you have to get approval from parks, developers, DOT and community boards. you have to write letters, and emails, send packets, attend small meetings, attend big meetings
  • get sponsors: try to get people to give you things for free. and because.
  • get press: write a press kit (thats a whole other thing), research contacts, send releases and kits to contacts, contact contacts, follow up with contacts, pester people
  • get partners: to do things you can't do (teach workshops, plan events), to get their support (park conservancies, neighborhood groups), to get promotion
I'm sure there is stuff I am forgetting but thats the gist of it. All to lay down the fleeting blue chalk line.

But here's the rub. I actually like it. Clearly there is something wrong with my head, it would certainly be much easier to create work in a studio and then air it out in the gallery without all this other rigamarole. And don't get me wrong, I still love doing studio work (in fact, right about now I just plain miss it). But there is something oddly appealing about all this work prior to the project. And here's what I have realized: it's a pattern.

Yup. I also like cross country mountain biking better than downhil. I like backcountry snowboarding. I like kayaking (okay that doesn't really fit the story, but I still like it). Truth is, I like the hard work, it makes the reward that much sweeter.

But do me a favor. Come out and say hello when I am drawing the chalk line. It will make it even sweeter still.

Yes, that top image is Tuckerman's, and yes I have ridden it and loved it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i really admire your energy and concenturation, Eve.