Monday, October 10, 2005

Of hope and despair...

I definitely should be making more of the felt balls since I didn't get as much done this weekend as I had hoped...

I have been thinking a lot about Monica Goetz's piece though... I am interested in the fact that it crosses so many boundaries. It appears to be such a simple piece, a gash in the wall from which light is emitted. But if you consider it for even a moment, you realize that there would have been quite a lot of work put into this installation. It also crosses the borders of sculpture, installation and two-dimensional work. It moves between construction and destruction, and between the original thoughts that I had - the dichotomy of hope and despair. The destruction represents such a negative and brutal act, and yet it reveals the light - that which represents hope...

No comments: